JOIN THE SWAY TEAM!
San Leandro, CA (San Francisco Bay Area)
Summer 2023 (Approximately June - August)
40 hours per week — flexible for a part-time arrangement depending on the candidate.
Sway is a California-based materials startup harnessing the power of seaweed to create home-compostable replacements for single-use plastics. We are focused on developing and scaling high-performance, seaweed-based packaging. Sway technologies drop into traditional plastic infrastructure, while simultaneously replenishing ocean health, promoting regeneration, and ultimately creating a more inclusive environmental movement. We are seeking a highly motivated Materials Science Intern to support our Research & Development team.
This intern will directly assist in polymers processing, material characterization, and analysis while gaining exposure to all parts of Sway’s business. We are excited about individuals with a demonstrated passion for sustainability and circular economy principles. Exceptional analytical and communication skills are vital, as is attention to detail within a fast-moving startup environment.
Successful candidates will be a highly motivated undergraduate or graduate-level student currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Materials Science, Polymer, or Chemical Engineering or related technical field with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
• Execute hands-on material property, characterization, and analytical testing of novel seaweed biopolymer formulations
• Prepare test samples based on internal specifications
• Support the R&D team with lab-scale formulation, product, and extrusion process development trials
• Analyze data and communicate results to the R&D Team
• Document critical findings and report project progress to the R&D Team
• Conduct critical literature research to support R&D exploratory work
• Strong hands-on experience with and knowledge of materials science and processing, particularly related to pellet and film processing, material testing, and characterization
• Expertise in analyzing structure-property relationships
• Familiarity with typical materials testing equipment is a plus
• Familiarity with twin screw, cast film, blown film extrusion, and injection molding is a plus
• Clear and informative written communication and effective presentation of numerical data
• Problem solving skills and the ability to make competent, independent decisions in a timely manner to ensure consistent progress on projects and assigned tasks
• Ability to effectively manage multiple and or changing priorities with minimal supervision
• Previous direct experience working with the aforementioned testing and analysis equipment
• Funding opportunities from your program/university (if possible — we can discuss this in more detail later in the process)
WHAT WE OFFER
• This is a paid role
• Opportunity to play a key role in a seed stage Bay Area-based startup with massive growth potential
• Critical materials science experience
• Ability to own and support projects that will contribute to a healthier planet
• An incredible team to support you
• Full-time preferred, but flexible for a part-time arrangement depending on the candidate
Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and LBGTQ+ candidates are warmly encouraged to apply. Sway is forging not only the material dimensions of a regenerative future, but the cultural dimensions as well. We recognize and embrace that this mission is not achievable without diversity, and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, cultures, skills, and experiences, knowing that the more inclusive we are, the more successful we will be.
HOW TO APPLY
After preparing your resume/CV and cover letter, please fill out this form. We will reach out to select candidates for interviews on a rolling basis.